Official Website and Apply Online: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/about-visitor-visa.html
- 📆 Duration: Six months, with the option to renew.
- 💵 Visa Fee: USD 75
- ⏱️ Application processing: 2–4 weeks
- 💰 Income requirements: No minimum income requirement, but must prove sufficient means for your length of stay and accommodation.
- 🛂 Eligibility: Foreign nationals who are self-employed or employed by a company outside Canada.
- 🏦 Taxes: May be liable for tax depending on your resident country. Follow guidelines from the Canada Revenue Agency.
- 🧾 Background checks: Must provide evidence of a clean criminal record.
- 🏥 Health insurance: Travel health insurance is required—we recommend Safety Wing.
Canada's Visitor Visa
Canada doesn't have a digital nomad visa, but a couple of options are available to digital nomads and remote workers. The Canadian Visitor Visa is the easiest option for digital nomads, recommended by the Canadian Government:
"Digital nomads working remotely for an employer outside of Canada can live and work here for up to 6 months at a time. They don't need a work permit. All they need is visitor status. We're working with provinces and territories to consider more options to attract digital nomads."
The Visitor Visa gives you six months in Canada. You have to leave the country and reapply to renew. You may be liable for tax in Canada if you stay more than 180 days in a 365-day period.
The cost of living varies, but the median wage is CAD 5,000, which gives you an idea of how to budget for the six months.
Digital nomads can enjoy Canada's natural beauty, cultural diversity, and opportunities for networking and professional growth in various industries.